Area Rug Design Ideas for Memorable Pieces
Unlike wall-to-wall floor carpets, rugs are available in numerous shapes and sizes. They offer a wide variety that can be complemented with a multitude of house décor themes. In fact, you can arrange your home decor to highlight a unique rug as the centerpiece of your room; you’ll find it easier to select furniture, curtains and other decor elements once you’ve established a design anchor for every room.
Rugs come in a variety of textures, patterns, colors and shapes. However, working with existing furniture, lightings, wall colors and upholstery can be a real challenge. Here are 5 area rug design ideas to highlight your favorite room:
1. Use rugs as visual partitions. Every room has its own practical demands. Keeping this in mind, you should first plan the complete layout of your room. For instance, large living rooms can be wisely separated with the help of small rugs at various points along with some memorable décor items.
2. Balance aesthetic between rug and furniture. The size of the furniture and the rugs need to be balanced perfectly. A small sofa set looks awkward when teamed with an over-sized area rug. All rugs in a room should have a common factor in order to maintain a proper balance. A natural coherence must be maintained through colors, patterns or shapes.
Patterned rugs like the Gabbeh area rugs or Turkish cut and loop rugs bring diversity to the décor. This splash of various colors and patterns can balance well with soft-colored furniture and other décor elements.
Modern style area rugs can help create a chic and trendy décor.
3. Work with lighting elements. Light fixtures can add an element of glamour to a room, and strategic use of diverse lighting options can help enhance the aesthetics of your rug. A small traditional chandelier placed over a Kerman round rug looks absolutely stunning.
Alternatively, a rectangular Persian rug on a corridor might best be complemented with a series of square spotlights. The downward light of spotlights helps to brighten up the area and augment the design and richness of the rugs.
4. Match colored walls with your rug. Single-toned rugs with soft color pallets allow you to play around with bright colored walls and furniture. Considering the intensity and loudness of boldly colored rugs, it is important to go for neutral interiors in order to tone down the brightness.
5. Last, but not least: don’t overdo it! Whatever the color and pattern of your household rugs, they should never overpower the interior of your space. Instead, they should work cohesively with all your other design elements to create a comfortable, welcoming, and beautiful space.
The room or the space should be a reflection of your taste and personality. Make sure that you choose an area rug for your home that can help you create a perfectly balanced and appealing space.
For more area rug design ideas, browse our entire selection of area rugs.